What’s in a persona?
What is a persona?
Here’s my guide to creating personas in 4 easy steps
1) Get some data if you can
Not always easy as your old product may not have been linked up to something like Google Analytics or your product may be something brand new. However, if you can, delve into your analytics and see some facts about your users. Demographics, behavior, location, the device they use, when they visit and what pages they visit are all very useful things to know.
2) Use surveys
Another option is to issue a quick strategic survey to a few of your existing users and let them know the importance of the survey. You can build this using survey monkey for free. You can ask questions such as:
- What is your job role
- What’s your top aspiration in your role
- What is the perception of us?
- What information do you need from us?
- What would motivate you to go onto our website?
- What pages would you visit?
3) Create a persona sheet
Create a sheet that asks questions that will be useful for your product. The types of information you require are as follows:
- Name, age, occupation, company and location
- Audience group name, e.g Potential partner
- Background: who he or she is and what motivates them?
- What are your aspirations for using our product?
- What information do they need from your website or product?
- What actions would you like them to take?
- What worked well on the website or product?
- What didn’t work so well?
4) Get a handful of team members together
Book up your quiet room for a couple of hours so you have no distractions. Get around 6-10 team members together, representing different sections within your organisation or business. Tell them the session will be fun and that they will produce something that can be used across everything they do.